Deseret News iPad App: Support Page
Pioneering news since 1850, The Deseret News iPad App is the latest innovation to bring the news you trust right to you fingertips.
Elegant navigation gets you right to the news that matters most. Beautiful photos and a clean story layout create a rich digital reading experience equally perfect for sit-back Sunday mornings or the train ride to work. And lightening-fast content loading means more time reading and less time watching spinning icons. For those of you without cellular data access, the Deseret News iPad app is kept fresh whenever you're connected to the Internet so all the most recent stories in every section will be there for you when you're not.
About the App
Release Date: April 15, 2011
Current Version: 1.0 (first version)
Type: Universal (Compatible with iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch)
Requirements: iOS 3.8 or later
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get the Deseret News iPad app?
There are two ways of getting the iPad app.
- Download it from the App Store directly from your iPad. Tap the icon on your iPad called "App Store" and search for "Deseret News iPad App." From the search results, follow the instructions to download it for free. The Deseret News iPad App icon will be displayed on your iPad once downloaded. Tap it to open it and begin reading.
- Download it from the App Store within iTunes. Within iTunes, search for "Deseret News iPad App." Click the button that reads "Free App" next to the Deseret News iPad App icon. The app will be downloaded to your computer. You will need to synchronize your iPad to transfer it for use on the iPad.
Does it cost anything to download or use the iPad app?
At this time, the Deseret News iPad App is free to download and use. Enjoy!
What features does the iPad app include?
- Best of the Deseret News - A selection of the top stories from the Deseret News. Sort by most recent and most popular.
- Elegant Interface - Simple navigation and an intuitive touch interface bring stories to you in just a couple taps of the finger.
- Great Sit-Back Reading Experience - Maximum reading space and "swipe-through" story navigation makes for a compelling sit-back reading experience.
- Section Scanner - Scan all the most recent news in an instant and go directly to the stories that interest you most.
- Social Sharing - Share stories via e-mail, Twitter and Facebook.
- Rapid Loading - No need to wait for stories and photos to load forever.
- Offline Mode - Stories and photos are automatically downloaded for each section when you're online so they're available for reading offline.
- Voices - Easy access to your favorite Deseret News personalities.
Do I need to register with the Deseret News to use the iPad app?
Not currently, but we are adding a number of personalization features to the app that will soon require that you register. If you would like to register now, click here.
Does the Deseret News iPad app include advertisements?
Yes, the Deseret News iPad app includes two types of advertisements.
- Banner ads - You will see these on the front page and the section pages.
- Interstitial ads - You will see occasional full page, interactive ads while reading articles.
What devices can I use the iPad app on?
The iPad app is in fact what Apple calls a universal app. This means it can be used on the iPad as well as iPhone and iPod touch. The app is designed to reconfigure itself for optimal usage on any of these devices.
Will I get all of the Deseret News on the iPad app?
Not all of the Deseret News content will be made available in the iPad app, but we've made every effort to ensure the most important and most popular content is available. The following sections can be found in the app:
- News - Local, National and World News
- Sports - Pros, College and Preps
- Voices - Trusted insight from the columnists and editorial team at Deseret News
- Faith - LDS church news & faith in the community, nation and world
- Family Life - Home, culture, food and entertainment for the family
Will I be able to get the news when offline?
As long as you have opened the app while online, the latest content downloaded to the app will remain so that you can read it when you are not online.
Will I see pictures and videos on the iPad app?
You will see pictures, but will not see full photo galleries for stories in this version of the app. You will not be able to watch videos in this version of the app. Both of the features are planned for a future release.
How do I share an article from the iPad app?
You will see a tools icon in stories at the top and to the right. Tap this icon to share the story you are reading via Facebook, Twitter or E-mail. You do need to have a Facebook or Twitter account to use these features.
How do I remove the Deseret News iPad app from my mobile device?
You can remove the Deseret News iPad app by holding down the Deseret News application icon until an "X" appears on the icon and it begins to wiggle. Tap the X then confirm that you wish to delete the app in the confirmation window that appears.
If your question wasn't answered here, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Same News, New Format
Get the same news you're used to on a new digital format you can take anywhere.
News - Local, National and World News
Sports - Pros, College and Prep
Voices - Trusted insight from the columnists and editorial team at Deseret News
Faith - LDS Church News and Faith in the community, nation and world
Family Life - Home, culture, food and entertainment for the family