John Gardiner Cabin
2601 Sunnyside Ave.
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Web site »
Included in admission
Built in Pleasant Grove, Utah in 1864. John Gardiner and his wife Harriet Dyer built this one-room 13 foot by 22 foot cabin in Pleasant Grove, Utah. In 1883, John took a second wife, Annie Nichols, with whom he had ten children - seven boys and three girls. A lean-to of rock and adobe was added to accommodate the children of the second marriage, as was the loft, which is accessible only by an outside ladder. Along with this log cabin, the family eventually built three more buildings and a chicken coop on their home site to accompany their ten acres of farm land. This cabin represents the humble economic status of many new immigrants who could bring very few furnishings and personal belongings with them to Utah.
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to Christian...
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on past...
- LDS Church releases video about suicide...
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...