Quantcast
Kenneth Mays

Kenny Mays has been a teacher for the Department of Seminaries and Institutes for over 35 years. He is currently assigned at the institute at LDS Business College. For decades, he has been studying and photographing LDS Church historical sites to assist in the preservation of Latter-day Saint history and where it unfolded.


Kenny's images and articles have been published in numerous sources and symposia including the Deseret News' Mormon Times (weekly), the Ensign, LDS Church News, Mormon Historical Studies, Pioneer Magazine, LDS mission site guides, a number of DVDs, the BYU Religious Education Image Archives and elsewhere. He is a trustee of the Mormon Historic Sites Foundation.

more...

Connect with Kenneth Mays

Email kmays@deseretnews.com Subscribe

The newly restored and developed Priesthood Restoration Site was dedicated Sept. 19, 2015, by President Russell M. Nelson.
After its time at Warner’s Ranch, the Mormon Battalion marched on toward the Pacific Ocean. On Jan. 24, 1847, members camped at a site near modern day Temecula, Riverside County, that is presently covered...
On June 6, 1846, the Camp of Israel stopped for the night near the West Nodaway River and placed its wagons in a large circle. This circle of wagons came to be referred to as “Ring Camp.”
Of the 11 children of Joseph and Emma Smith, only four biological sons and one adopted daughter survived to adulthood. The third son was Alexander Hale Smith.
After weeks in the region of the Anza-Borrego Desert in California, the trail blazed by the Mormon Battalion finally began to rise in elevation to areas that were less dry and desolate.
Near the town of Bridgewater, Adair County, Iowa, is a lovely park named after the Mormon pioneers who made their way past the area beginning in 1846.
In an area of southern Idaho on the Oregon Trail near Soda Springs and Lava Hot Springs lies the quaint little town of Chesterfield, which was spontaneously founded by its first inhabitants and not by assignmen...
On Jan. 19, 1847, members of the Mormon Battalion still found themselves on the California-Sonora Trail of the Mexican Era. Box Canyon became the first wagon road into southern California.
The George Riser home and boot shop is located on the northwest corner of Main and Parley streets in Nauvoo.
Mount Pisgah on the Iowa Mormon Trail was both a campsite as well as a way station or temporary settlement, utilized during the years 1846-1852.