Quantcast

Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2 Mormon missionaries in Taiwan

Published: Sunday, Aug. 24 2014 5:30 p.m. MDT

From left, Elder Yu Peng Xiong, 24, of Kaohsiung, Taiwan, and Elder Connor Thredgold, 19, of Springville, died in their apartment over the weekend while serving as missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Taiwan Taipei Mission. News reports in Taipei indicate that their deaths were likely caused by a carbon monoxide leak. (Facebook) From left, Elder Yu Peng Xiong, 24, of Kaohsiung, Taiwan, and Elder Connor Thredgold, 19, of Springville, died in their apartment over the weekend while serving as missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Taiwan Taipei Mission. News reports in Taipei indicate that their deaths were likely caused by a carbon monoxide leak. (Facebook)

SALT LAKE CITY — Two LDS missionaries who died while serving in Taiwan are believed to have been killed by a carbon monoxide leak in their apartment, according to news reports in Taipei.

Connor Benjamin Thredgold, 19, of Springville, and Yu Peng Xiong, 24, of Kaohsiung, Taiwan, were found dead in their apartment Saturday in New Taipei City’s Sanchong District.

The two had been reported missing by other missionaries, and police discovered the bodies during a house visit, according to the Taiwan News. Investigators later found a faulty gas water heater, which they believe was the source of the poisonous gas leak, according to the Taipei Times.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has not yet confirmed their cause of death, but no foul play is suspected, said church spokeswoman Jessica Moody. Press reports indicate that police have closed the case.

From right, Elder Connor Thredgold, 19, of Springville, and Elder Yu Peng Xiong, 24, of Kaohsiung, Taiwan, died in their apartment over the weekend while serving as missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Taiwan Taipei Mission. News reports in Taipei indicate that their deaths were likely caused by a carbon monoxide leak. (Facebook) From right, Elder Connor Thredgold, 19, of Springville, and Elder Yu Peng Xiong, 24, of Kaohsiung, Taiwan, died in their apartment over the weekend while serving as missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Taiwan Taipei Mission. News reports in Taipei indicate that their deaths were likely caused by a carbon monoxide leak. (Facebook)

Xiong had been serving as a missionary since March 2013, and Thredgold had been serving since March of this year.

"We pray for their families and for all those who knew them, and express our love and deepest sympathies at this tragic time," Moody said.

Copyright 2015, Deseret News Publishing Company