Quantcast

Picturing history: Mormon Battalion monument near Douglas, Arizona

Published: Wednesday, June 25 2014 11:42 p.m. MDT

Through the years, students of the Mormon Battalions march have marked sites along the trail in an effort to preserve the route blazed by Col. Philip St. George Cooke and the battalion. This small marker east of present-day Douglas, Arizona, is one such site. (Kenneth Mays) Through the years, students of the Mormon Battalions march have marked sites along the trail in an effort to preserve the route blazed by Col. Philip St. George Cooke and the battalion. This small marker east of present-day Douglas, Arizona, is one such site. (Kenneth Mays)

In November 1846, the Mormon Battalion marched through Guadalupe Canyon or Pass near the border of Arizona, New Mexico and Mexico. It continued on through challenging desert terrain in an area east of present-day Douglas, Arizona, a town that is situated on the U.S. border with Mexico.

Through the years, students of the battalion’s march have marked sites along the trail in an effort to preserve the route blazed by Col. Philip St. George Cooke and the Mormon Battalion. This small marker is one such site. It was erected in 1933 by Boy Scouts of Douglas, Arizona, along with parents and leaders.

Tradition holds that one leader went back alone, feeling like something had been forgotten. While there, he offered up a prayer of dedication, an act which had been neglected earlier. His account of that story is one that is personal and also of remarkable spiritual experiences.

Copyright 2015, Deseret News Publishing Company