ROCK SPRINGS, Wyo. — A father and his teenage son were found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning Monday in their ice fishing hut at Flaming Gorge.
Stansbury Park residents Steven McConnell, 58, and Matthew McConnell, 17, were found unresponsive in their fishing hut near the Flaming Gorge Big Firehole boat ramp about 9 a.m.
The father and son had gone to bed about 1 a.m., their ice fishing group told Sweetwater County sheriff's deputies. The group had planned to break camp and head home Monday morning.
Members of the fishing party did not have cellphone service at their fishing site and headed to the boat ramp, where they encountered a Rock Springs man. They drove to an area with cellphone service and alerted authorities.
Emergency responders were unable to resuscitate the McConnells, who were pronounced dead at the scene. A propane heater was located running inside the hut when officials arrived.
— McKenzie Romero
Copyright 2017, Deseret News Publishing Company