SANDY — A fire burned a Sandy family's garage Wednesday, but their house was spared as the flames were contained.
The family of six at 9232 S. 1195 East heard crackling about 5:45 p.m. Christmas Day and went out to discover the attached garage fully engulfed in flames, said Sandy Deputy Fire Chief Bruce Cline.
The family saved a car by pushing it out of the garage, something Cline said isn't recommended, but the rest of the structure and everything inside was lost. The house was spared.
"The garage did what it was supposed to do," Cline said. "The thick sheet rock, it held it in check, it kept it in the garage. It didn't burn up into the bedrooms above or into the kitchen area, which is a good thing."
Fire crews quickly doused the single-alarm fire and no injuries were reported, Cline said.
The family, displaced by smoke damage, was staying with relatives Wednesday night.
— McKenzie Romero
Copyright 2016, Deseret News Publishing Company