Quantcast

Canyons School District to install carbon monoxide detectors in all buildings

Published: Monday, Aug. 3 2015 3:34 a.m. MDT

After a recent incident in which students and teachers at an elementary school were sickened by an undetected gas leak, Canyons School District is addressing the need for carbon monoxide detectors in its schools. (suesmith2, Getty Images/iStockphoto) After a recent incident in which students and teachers at an elementary school were sickened by an undetected gas leak, Canyons School District is addressing the need for carbon monoxide detectors in its schools. (suesmith2, Getty Images/iStockphoto)

SANDY — After a recent incident in which students and teachers at an elementary school were sickened by an undetected gas leak, Canyons School District is addressing the need for carbon monoxide detectors in its schools.

Canyons facilities director Rick Conger and risk management coordinator Kevin Ray have arranged for one detector to be placed in every building in the school district. That includes all schools, the Canyons Administration Building, Canyons Support Services Center, the bus depot and the warehouse. The district has invested about $1,200 in the initiative.

Crews will install the detectors before students, teachers and staff return to school on Monday. The devices will be placed in areas such as boiler and mechanical rooms, which have natural gas burning equipment.

While the district is not required to take these steps, the school board and administration believe in creating safe, clean and well-maintained learning and working environments for students and employees, the district said.

After a recent incident in which students and teachers at an elementary school were sickened by an undetected gas leak, Canyons School District is addressing the need for carbon monoxide detectors in its schools. (Shutterstock) After a recent incident in which students and teachers at an elementary school were sickened by an undetected gas leak, Canyons School District is addressing the need for carbon monoxide detectors in its schools. (Shutterstock)

The incident at Montezuma Creek Elementary, which ended with no serious illnesses or deaths, has “definitely brought a lot of awareness to the hazards of carbon monoxide in our schools,” Ray said in a prepared statement. “As a district, we want to be proactive and do everything that we can do address the issue."

Copyright 2015, Deseret News Publishing Company