TOOELE — Police believe the death of a Tooele man who was found in his living room was the result of a tragic accident and not a suicide.
Robert Woods, 54, had been working Wednesday on a car in his garage at 220 Crest Circle, possibly replacing a fuel line, said Tooele Police Lt. Paul Wimmer. A nephew who lives with Woods left the house about 5:30 p.m. When he returned about 10 p.m., he found Woods dead in the living room, a strong odor of exhaust fumes throughout the home, and the car still running in the garage.
Investigators believe Woods was working on the car, got it running, and then went inside to take a break while letting it run. He was found on a couch, about 15 to 20 feet away from the garage. The television was on and there was a drink next to the body, Wimmer said.
The door leading from the house to the garage was ajar about 6 inches, he said. Detectives said Woods had not shown any recent signs of depression, expressed thoughts of suicide or left any notes. They believe he likely sat down to take a break and was overcome by the exhaust fumes.
— Pat Reavy
Copyright 2017, Deseret News Publishing Company