Quantcast

'Light smoke' forces evacuation of Duchesne High School

Published: Friday, July 31 2015 9:57 p.m. MDT

Duchesne High School was evacuated Friday after a malfunction in the heating and cooling system sent smoke into the hallways and classrooms. (Shutterstock) Duchesne High School was evacuated Friday after a malfunction in the heating and cooling system sent smoke into the hallways and classrooms. (Shutterstock)

DUCHESNE — A malfunction in the heating and cooling system at Duchesne High School sent smoke into the hallways and classrooms Friday, forcing students and faculty outside.

The school's fire alarm went off about 12:30 p.m., Duchesne Fire Chief Russ Young said. Firefighters found "light smoke" inside the school when they arrived, he said.

By then the school had been evacuated, said Duchesne County Schools Superintendent David Brotherson, who noted that there were no injuries reported.

Firefighters determined that part of the HVAC system had failed, causing smoke to be released into the school, Young said.

"There was never any active fire," he said.

School maintenance crews were working to repair the problem when firefighters left the school, the chief said.

Students still had not returned to class by 1:50 p.m, according to Brotherson. They were expected to be released from school at 2 p.m., which is the normal release time on Fridays.

— Geoff Liesik

Email: gliesik@deseretnews.com Twitter: GeoffLiesik

Copyright 2015, Deseret News Publishing Company