LINDON, Utah County — A positive test for contaminated water prompted the closure Friday of all restaurants in the city, according to the Utah County Health Department.
Residents and businesses in Lindon also have been asked to boil all drinking and culinary water after a test performed Friday came back positive for E. coli.
Lindon Police Chief Cody Cullimore said the bacteria was found in the city's water supply. The bacteria could have entered the water through increased runoff, a break in the distribution system or a failure in the water treatment process, Cullimore said.
An order was posted on the city's Facebook page Friday afternoon reporting that all water should be boiled for one minute before being used for drinking, cooking, washing dishes or brushing teeth.
City crews are disinfecting and flushing the water system, and the public will be informed when the tests no longer come back positive for the bacteria, officials said. Meantime, city officials are asking that all water be boiled until further notice.
E. coli may cause nausea, cramps, diarrhea, headaches and other symptoms, and could pose a risk to infants, young children, the elderly and those with severely compromised immune systems.
For more information, call the city's public works department at 801-796-7954.
Copyright 2015, Deseret News Publishing Company