With a long weekend ahead, Utah State women's tennis had a rough start, falling 6-1 to the Miners of UTEP in El Paso, Texas, on Thursday.
UTEP earned the doubles point winning two of the three matches. Martina Trierweiler and Rebeca Calvillo defeated sophomore McKenzie Davis and freshman Kallie Sperry, 8-6, while Marie LeBlond and Gabi Vazquez took down sophomore Hillary Hays and senior Kristina Voytsekovich, 8-4. Senior Julie Tukuafu and freshman Ashley Stulhmann avoided the doubles shutout with an 8-3 win over Anastasiya Sylenko and Matilda Rose Tench.
In singles action, Davis earned the only win for the Aggies with a three-set win over Calvillo at the No. 1 position (6-4, 5-7, 10-7). At the No. 2 spot, Voytsekovich got swept by Trierweiler (6-0, 6-0), while Tukuafu fell to Vazquez, retiring in the middle of the second set (6-2, 4-1), at the No. 3 position. At the No. 4 spot, Sperry was defeated by LeBlond (6-1, 6-4), while Hays fought through three sets against Tench at the No. 5 position, before falling 4-6, 6-1, 10-4. Stuhlmann wrapped up the match with a straight-set loss to Jamie-Leigh Michau (6-2, 6-2).
The Aggies, now 5-10, continue their road swing Friday as they take on Western Athletic Conference rival New Mexico State. Action from Las Cruces is set to get underway at 2 p.m. MT.
1. McKenzie Davis (USU) def. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 6-4, 5-7, 10-7
2. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) def. Kristina Voytsekovich (USU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) def. Julie Tukuafu (USU) 6-2, 4-1 (retired)
4. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) def. Kallie Sperry (USU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Matilda Rose Tench (UTEP) def. Hillary Hays (USU) 4-6, 6-1, 10-4
6. Jamie-Leigh Michau (UTEP) def. Ashley Stuhlmann (USU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Treierweiler/Calvillo (UTEP) def. Davis/Sperry (USU) 8-6
2. LeBlond/Vazquez (UTEP) def. Hays/Voytsekovich (USU) 8-4
3. Tukuafu/Ashley Stuhlmann (USU) def. Sylenko/Tench (UTEP) 8-3
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
Copyright 2016, Deseret News Publishing Company