Utah State men’s golf began play at the Cal Poly hosted Match Play Challenge with a 3.5-1.5 opening round loss to Weber State, followed by a 3.0-2.0 loss to Fresno State at the Cypress Ridge Golf Course on Thursday.
In the opening round loss to Weber State, junior Tanner Higham halved his match with Jordan Herzog to earn half a point; freshman Seokwon Jeon defeated Michael Johnson, 3&2; freshman Reed Platke lost to Jeff Jones, 2&1; senior Kris Sayer lost to Matt Wahlen, 1 up; and junior Zach Waxler lost to Colton Dallimore, 3&1.
Results for Utah State’s match against Fresno State were not immediately available.
Utah State will conclude play at the Cal Poly Match Play Challenge on Friday, Mar. 29, against Northern Colorado.
Match Play vs. Weber State
1. Tanner Higham (USU) half Jordan Herzog (WSU) – All Square
2. Seokwon Jeon (USU) def. Michael Johnson (WSU) – 3&2
3. Jeff Jones (WSU) def. Reed Platke (USU) – 2&1
4. Matt Wahlen (WSU) def. Kris Sayer (USU) – 1 up
5. Colton Dallimore (WSU) def. Zach Waxler (USU) – 3&1
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
Copyright 2015, Deseret News Publishing Company