OREM — A large fire displaced a family of eight Thursday morning.
Police said a family dog that was originally reported to have died in the fire, was actually still alive as of 10:30 a.m. and being treated at a vet clinic.
Four adults and four children, the youngest just 3 years old, were able to get out of the burning house, 973 S. 190 West, just after 6 a.m. One man suffered minor burns on his arm while trying to fight the fire in the room where it was believed to have started, said Orem Police Sgt. Craig Martinez.
Investigators believe an unattended candle started the blaze, he said.
Four agencies — including 20 firefighters — responded to the fire. Initially, crews were able to make an offensive attack inside the house. But the heat and flames quickly became too much.
"It was overwhelming. It got a little too dangerous," Martinez said.
Firefighters were forced to retreat and battle the fire in a defensive mode from the outside.
The home is considered a total loss. The Red Cross was helping the family find temporary shelter.
Copyright 2016, Deseret News Publishing Company