WEST JORDAN — Investigators have determined a fire that heavily damaged a home Tuesday was an accident caused by "improperly discarded smoking materials."
The fire at 2818 W. Dimond Drive (7650 South) was reported about 12:50 p.m. Tuesday. Investigators said it began in the space between a shed and the back of an attached garage, where the homeowner goes to smoke cigarettes.
The homeowner initially tried to extinguish the spreading fire with some garden hoses but found they were frozen. He was treated for smoke inhalation.
Wind pushed the fire from the shed to the garage, which is attached to the home. The man's stepdaughter, stepson, two dogs and a cat all made it out of the house unharmed.
Damage to the home, some cars and a the shed was estimated at nearly $150,000.
Both the West Jordan Fire Department and Unified Fire Authority responded to the blaze.
Copyright 2016, Deseret News Publishing Company