LAS VEGAS – The BYU women’s tennis team wrapped up its Las Vegas road trip with a 5-2 win over Iowa State on Saturday at the Fertitta Tennis Complex.
“The girls bounced back today and played solid tennis,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “It was important for us to use yesterday as a learning experience and to keep a positive attitude moving forward.”
The Cougars (5-1) got their first-ever victory against Iowa State (1-4) and their first road win of the season.
BYU took the lead early as all three doubles teams came away with victories. On Court 1, Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Nicolette Tran topped Jenna Langhorst and Ksenia Pronina 8-4.
Mackenna Maddox and Morgan Anderson defeated their opponents 8-6 and the duo of Desiree Tran and Aubrey Paul took an 8-3 decision on Court 3.
Desiree Tran played at the No. 1 singles position for just she second time this year. The junior from California won the battle on Court 1 against Simona Cacciuttolo 6-3, 6-2.
On Court 3, Sheehan-Dizon gave BYU another point as the earned a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Ana Gasparovic.
The last two Cougar points came on Courts 5 and 6 as Maddox and Paul each defeated their opponents decisively.
BYU returns home next week to host in-state rival Utah on Saturday at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts. The match is slated to start at 11 a.m. MST.
1. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) def. Langhorst/Pronina (ISU) 8-4
2. Maddox/Anderson (BYU) def. Cacciuttolo/Anderson (ISU) 8-6
3. D. Tran/Paul (BYU) def. Cassens/Gasparovic (ISU) 8-3
1. Desiree Tran (BYU) def. Simona Cacciuttolo (ISU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Ksenia Pronina (ISU) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Ana Gasparovic (ISU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Meghan Cassens (ISU) def. Nicolette Tran (BYU) 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (10-2)
5. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) def. Jenna Langhorst (ISU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Emma Waites (ISU) 6-1, 6-2
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
Copyright 2015, Deseret News Publishing Company