PROVO, Utah – The BYU women’s tennis team finished its four-game home streak undefeated with a win over the Boise State Broncos 5-1 at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts Saturday afternoon.
The Cougars (4-0) hold on to their status as the only West Coast Conference team with a perfect record.
“We always play really well on our own courts, with our own fans,” head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “The 4-0 start gives us some confidence moving forward.”
Junior Desiree Tran continues her unbeaten streak with a win over Marlena Pietzuch 6-4, 7-5 on Court 2.
The next Cougar to finish was sophomore Morgan Anderson, who won her first set but lost the match 4-6, 6-0, 6-3 to Sandy Vo.
Meghan Sheehan-Dizon finished third on Court 3 as she topped her opponent Teal Vosburgh 4-6, 6-1, 6-2. The sophomore from California also remains perfect in singles play.
On Court 4, freshman Nicolette Tran won in three sets 3-6, 6-1, 6-3. Senior Aubrey Paul finished the day with a 7-6(4), 6-3 victory. Both Nicolette and Paul are 4-0 on the year.
BYU earned the doubles point by sweeping all three doubles matches. Anderson and Mackenna Maddox finished first on Court 2 as they topped Vo and Morgan Basil 8-3.
BYU faces UNLV on the road next Friday at 10 a.m. PST.
1. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) def. Pietzuch/Pietzuch (BSU) 8-6
2. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) def. Vo/Basil (BSU) 8-3
3. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) def. LaLone/Watson (BSU) 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Sandy Vo (BSU) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
2. Desiree Tran (BYU) def. Marlena Pietzuch (BSU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Teal Vosburgh (BSU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Morgan Basil (BSU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) Megan LaLone (BSU) 7-6(4), 4-1 (DNF)
6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) Sammie Watson (BSU) 7-6(4), 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3, 4, 6
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
Copyright 2015, Deseret News Publishing Company