WEST VALLEY CITY — West Valley City and Taylorsville, the two cities served by West Valley Animal Services, in 2012 achieved three months where 90 percent or more of the dogs and cats going into the shelter were saved.
According to Kanab-based Best Friends Animal Society, a 90 percent or more save rate is recognized as the most significant landmark toward the goal of saving all adoptable and treatable dogs and cats. The remaining 10 percent may not survive for a variety of reasons, including serious health problems or severe behavioral issues.
In June, the two cities and Best Friends signed a two-year memorandum of understanding that the shelter would become "no-kill" through increased animal adoptions, lower numbers of animals entering the shelter because of a targeted spay/neuter program, and aggressive trap-neuter-return programs for free-roaming, unowned cats.
The three months with save rates above 90 percent were August, 90.8 percent; September, 92.3 percent; and December, 93.9 percent. Other top save rate months were July, October and November, ranging from 84.3 to 88.4 percent.
Copyright 2017, Deseret News Publishing Company