PROVO, Utah – With a 5-2 win over Nevada on Friday at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts, the BYU women’s tennis team notched its third consecutive victory of the season.
The last time the Cougars (3-0) won three straight was in 2006.
“I knew it was going to be a tough one but we were able to close out the match with a win,” head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “We played well but on a few courts, we let up a little bit and didn’t keep out foot on the gas pedal and they took advantage."
BYU started strong as senior Aubrey Paul and junior Desiree Tran quickly topped Monika Magusiak and Rymma Maslova on Court 3, 8-2.
Then, sophomore Morgan Anderson and freshman Mackenna Maddox secured the doubles point with an 8-5 victory on Court 2.
In singles play, Court 3 was also the first to finish when sophomore Meghan Sheehan-Dizon got a win over Stevens 6-2, 6-2.
Nevada tied the score by earning two points on Courts 1 and 4.
Freshman Nicolette Tran notched her third straight victory of the year as she topped Juliette Legendre 6-2, 7-5 to give the Cougars a one-point advantage.
Desiree Tran ensured the BYU victory by defeating Emma Verberne in the longest match of the day, 7-6, 4-6, 6-2.
BYU will play its fourth straight home match on Saturday, Feb. 16, against Boise State at noon MST.
1. Okhremchuck/Verberne (UNR) def. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) 8-7(5)
2. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) def. Smiley/Stevens (UNR) 8-5
3. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) def. Magusiak/Maslova (UNR) 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Michelle Okhremchuck (UNR) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Desiree Tran (BYU) def. Emma Verberne (UNR) 7-6, 4-6, 6-2
3. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Sophie Stevens (UNR) 6-2, 6-2
4. Sheila Smiley (UNR) def. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) 6-3, 6-4, 6-4
5. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Juliette Legendre (UNR) 6-2, 7-5
6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Monika Magusiak (UNR) 6-0, 0-1 (Ret.)
Order of finish: 3, 1, 4, 5, 2, 6
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
Copyright 2016, Deseret News Publishing Company