Misuse of cords powering space heater causes house fire

Published: Tuesday, Jan. 22 2013 5:45 p.m. MST

OGDEN — A "misuse" of electrical cords powering a space heater sparked a fire that caused $60,000 in damage to an Ogden home Tuesday.

Heavy smoke was billowing out of the home at 949 Rushton Street when fire crews arrived about 1:30 p.m., said Ogden Deputy Fire Chief Eric Bauman. The two occupants of the home were able to escape without injury and firefighters quickly extinguished the flames.

The home suffered heavy smoke and fire damage and one unidentified pet was also killed in the blaze. The Red Cross was assisting the displaced residents.

Copyright 2016, Deseret News Publishing Company