SANDY — The fire that destroyed a mobile home Monday may have been caused by someone attempting to thaw frozen pipes, fire officials said.
Sandy Fire Battalion Chief Derek Maxfield said the cause of the fire at 8804 S. Cambridge Circle was still under investigation Monday, and the home is a total loss. Family members who were inside at the time were able to escape safely, but a dog may still be unaccounted for.
Crews responding to the 2:30 p.m. call arrived to find smoke and flames spewing from the mobile home, and the flames made quick work of the building's lightweight structure, Young said.
Fire crews heard reports the homeowner may have been using heat tape and perhaps a heat lamp to warm the pipes, but the details were still unclear, Young said.
When it comes to frozen pipes, prevention is the best option, he said, but homeowners trying to thaw their pipes should exercise caution.
"During these cold temperatures, pipes freeze," Young said, "and people need to be really careful with what they're using and how they go about trying to thaw those out."
Preparations were being made Monday night to find temporary lodging for the family.
Copyright 2016, Deseret News Publishing Company