HEBER CITY — A garage was destroyed by fire Sunday, presumably caused by a space heater meant to keep a batch of newborn piglets warm.
Janet Carson, spokeswoman for the Wasatch County Fire District, said the fire started in a small shed attached to a garage where the piglets and their mother were being kept. The mother pig and her babies were all rescued.
The fire started just after 5 a.m. near 1780 E. 2400 South in Heber City.
The cause of the blaze is under investigation, but fire crews assume the space heater caused some hay to catch fire, burning most of the garage, Carson said. Crews estimate the fire caused about $70,000 in damage.
Despite problems caused by cold temperatures and freezing water, fire crews had the blaze out in about an hour, Carson said.
Copyright 2015, Deseret News Publishing Company