HEBER CITY — A former educator accused of sexually abusing young boys made his first appearance in court Wednesday.
But the scheduled initial appearance for Charles Edward Weber, 65, of South Jordan, was postponed after 4th District Judge Derek Pullan disqualified himself from the case. Pullan apparently feared his contacts in the community could create a conflict.
The case was reassigned to 4th District Judge Lynn Davis. It is anticipated a new date will be set for the initial appearance soon.
Weber is facing six counts of forcible sodomy, a first-degree felony, stemming from allegations that he sexually abused a 15-year-old student in Midway between January and August of this year while he was principal of Soldier Hollow Charter School. The abuse stopped just before the boy turned 16, according to court documents.
Weber had been an educator for more than 40 years, most recently as principal of the award-winning Midway school. When investigators interviewed Weber on Nov. 29, he "admitted to sexually abusing several young boys over the past 35 years," a police affidavit filed in court states.
The case against Weber began when a 48-year-old man went to FBI agents and said Weber molested him between 1975 and 1977. He said the abuse began when he was 11 years old and Weber was his elementary school teacher. The allegations involving that former student remained under investigation Tuesday and no charges have been filed in that case.
The FBI confirmed Tuesday that it had received calls from others who may have been abused by Weber. Wasatch County Attorney Scott Sweat said Wednesday his office is working with federal authorities in the investigation.
"These cases are always tragic, I think the most tragic for the victims and their families who have to deal with these things," Sweat said. "Of course, that's why we want to vigorously prosecute and do the best we can to protect people and bring those people to justice."
Contributing: Sandra Yi
Copyright 2015, Deseret News Publishing Company