"Head, heart, hands and health" has been the motto 4-H youth have followed for 100 years. The group stretches across the nation and strives to create opportunities to learn, gain confidence and develop leadership skills. Utah 4-H extension programs and camps provide diverse experiences, taking kids to the farmyard and beyond.
• ATV Safety: Participate in an ATV Boot Camp or certification program, or arrange for a workshop in your area.
• GPS and GIS: Learn to use GPS technology, and then put it into practice with GIS community mapping.
• Horse program: Work with horses and learn about equine science and care. Options available for youth who have horses and those who don't.
• Jr. Livestock Program: For youth who have access to livestock and those who do not. Participate in educational meetings, county and state fairs, judging contests and more.
• Jr. Master Gardener: A hands-on approach to learning about horticulture at a variety of levels.
• Robotics: One of 4-H's newest programs, get the chance to design, build and program robots using Lego MindStorm building kits and RoboLab software.
For more information on programs in Utah, see utah4h.org.
Copyright 2015, Deseret News Publishing Company