Motor home explosion at Snowbird sends man to hospital with burns

Published: Saturday, July 7 2012 7:00 p.m. MDT

Motor home explosion. (Jeff Cox) Motor home explosion. (Jeff Cox)

SNOWBIRD — A vehicle explosion sent one man to the hospital Saturday.

A motor home at Snowbird Ski Resort caught fire about noon, said Unified Fire Authority Capt. Lee Ascarte. Fire crews who were already in the area heard the explosion and found three people inside the RV and a man lying on the ground.

One man was flown by medical helicopter to University Hospital where he was treated for second- and third-degree burns on his legs. Three others were treated on the scene but refused further medical care.

The motor home owner said before he went to the hospital that the vehicle had been leaking something and he was checking on it at the time of the explosion, Ascarte said.

Life flight from Mount Superior. (, Jeff Cox) Life flight from Mount Superior. (, Jeff Cox)

Dennis Romboy

Twitter: dennisromboy

Copyright 2016, Deseret News Publishing Company