During his mission to Great Britain with other members of the Quorum of the Twelve of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, John Taylor's family lived in the miserable conditions of old military barracks in Montrose, Iowa.
Upon completion of his mission to Great Britain, John returned home in July 1841 and, with Leonora and the children, established his home in Nauvoo. That home was lost in a fire. Elder Taylor was eventually editor of the LDS Church's newspaper.
At the insistence of Brigham Young, he moved his family into a home, which was part of a complex of three structures once owned by James Ivins. The printing office was in a building to the south (left) of the home. The black and white image shows the printing complex after the post office (which had been to the right or north of the Taylor home) was torn down. It was later rebuilt.
Copyright 2016, Deseret News Publishing Company