Quantcast

FBI: Navy Yard gunman had shotgun, got handgun

Published: Friday, Aug. 28 2015 2:02 a.m. MDT

An armed officer who said he is with the Department of Defense, warns a vehicle to stay away from the gate at the Washington Navy Yard, closed to all but essential personnel, in Washington, on Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2013, the day after a gunman launched an attack inside the Washington Navy Yard on Monday, spraying gunfire on office workers in the cafeteria and in the hallways at the heavily secured military installation in the heart of the nation's capital.  (Jacquelyn Martin, Associated Press) An armed officer who said he is with the Department of Defense, warns a vehicle to stay away from the gate at the Washington Navy Yard, closed to all but essential personnel, in Washington, on Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2013, the day after a gunman launched an attack inside the Washington Navy Yard on Monday, spraying gunfire on office workers in the cafeteria and in the hallways at the heavily secured military installation in the heart of the nation's capital. (Jacquelyn Martin, Associated Press)

WASHINGTON — The FBI says Navy Yard gunman Aaron Alexis had a shotgun when he entered a building and got a handgun inside after he started firing.

Valerie Parlave, head of the FBI's field office in Washington, said Tuesday they don't have any information that he had an AR-15 assault rifle in his possession.

There has been conflicting information about the weapons Alexis used. Previously, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press the gunman had two handguns he took from officers.

Parlave says Alexis arrived in the Washington area late last month and had been staying at local hotels in the days leading up to the shooting rampage that killed 12 people.

D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says officers with AR-15s arrived at the building within seven minutes of the call.

Copyright 2015, Deseret News Publishing Company