When President Brigham Young left Nauvoo, Ill., in February 1846, temple blessings for the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who had not received them had to be postponed. Not long after, the Nauvoo Illinois Temple was subsequently dedicated, burned by an arsonist and hit by a tornado. It then lay in ruins for years before a single remaining wall was taken down and the property used by other entities for other purposes.
Before the eventual reconstruction of the Nauvoo Temple, archaeological digs were undertaken to learn as much as possible about the original structure on the same site.
Scholars and students accumulated a number of interesting artifacts during those digs and at other times. In addition to a view of the rebuilt temple, pieces of melted glass and parts of the baptismal font can be seen in the other images.
Copyright 2015, Deseret News Publishing Company