Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Thursday:
1. VP CANDIDATES TAKE CENTER STAGE
Untested debater Ryan has been studying up on Biden, who has been sparring over public policy for years.
2. REPUBLICANS CONFRONT STATE DEPARTMENT ABOUT LIBYA SECURITY
GOP lawmakers aren't buying the explanation that protection was fine, but overwhelmed by the unprecedented Benghazi assault.
3. TURKEY INTERCEPTS SYRIAN PLANE AS TENSIONS MOUNT
The jet was forced to land at Ankara airport, and cargo was confiscated.
4. WHO CLAIMS TO HAVE THE DOPE ON LANCE ARMSTRONG
A report shows that 11 former teammates helped build the case against the dethroned Tour de France king.
5. WHY MORE ANTARCTIC ICE MAY BE SIGN OF GLOBAL WARMING
Experts say shifts in wind patterns and a giant ozone hole — both related to human activity — are probably the cause.
6. NEW DETAILS ABOUT FIRM SUSPECTED IN MENINGITIS OUTBREAK
The Massachusetts compounding pharmacy settled a lawsuit alleging it produced a tainted shot that caused a man's death.
7. WHAT IRAN'S SPY AGENCY SAYS ABOUT THE U.S.
The Intelligence Ministry's website appeals for tips and mocks American's rising obesity rates, large prison population and school shootings.
8. NATIONAL ARCHIVES TO RECOUNT CUBAN MISSILE CRISIS
An exhibit opening Friday features once-secret recordings of JFK's deliberations on the brink of nuclear war 50 years ago.
9. HOW SCIENCE CAN MAKE US HAPPY
A study in a prestigious medical journal ties chocolate consumption to the number of Nobel winners a country has — and suggests it's a sign the treat can boost brain power.
10. MAYBE GET MARRIED, MAYBE BUY A LOTTERY TICKET
Or maybe just set your alarm clock for 07:08:09 on 10-11-12. "But there is no cosmic significance," one expert says of Thursday's date.
Copyright 2017, Deseret News Publishing Company