Continuing west from Bent's Fort on the Arkansas River, U.S. Army Capt. Higgins and the first detachment of the Mormon Battalion made its way to a temporary settlement near present-day Pueblo, Colo.
The historical marker seen here identifies the site at Pueblo where that detachment of the battalion spent the winter of 1846-47. Other members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints traveling from Mississippi to the Salt Lake Valley spent that winter at Pueblo as well. The combined groups formed a settlement of some 275 persons. Crops were planted and game was plentiful.
The text of the plaque on the marker notes these Saints erected a church and rows of dwellings made of cottonwood logs.
Copyright 2015, Deseret News Publishing Company