SALT LAKE CITY — Now that the Sugar House fireworks show has been saved, event organizers and sponsors are hoping to do the same for needy families throughout the state.
RC Willey, which donated $25,000 to help keep the show going in 2011, is teaming up with the Utah Food Bank to conduct a food drive during the Fourth of July fireworks show at Sugarhouse Park.
"We decided to do a food drive with the Utah Food Bank so everyone who enjoys the fireworks has an opportunity to come and give back to those who are a little less fortunate," RC Willey CEO Scott Hymas said Wednesday.
RC Willey trucks will be parked at the park throughout the event to collect nonperishable food items and then deliver them to the food bank.
July and August typically are lean months at the Utah Food Bank, said Ginette Bott, the organization's chief marketing officer. With children out of school for the summer, more families are in need, Bott said.
"Anything you can bring and contribute that night, drop it off to the trucks that are here," she said. "It will be returned to the food bank and distributed throughout the state of Utah through our 154 pantries and agencies."
Scott Workman, who spearheaded fundraising efforts to keep the park's Fourth of July tradition alive, promised a bigger and better event this year. Festivities will begin at 3 p.m., with concerts starting at 4 p.m. and the main event at 10 p.m.
Organizers are planning a 25- to 30-minute fireworks show.
Workman canceled the 2011 event in May due to lack of funding. Since then, several sponsors and donors have stepped forward to allow the show to go on.
In addition to RC Willey's contribution, the fireworks show received $15,000 from Salt Lake City, $10,000 from Jamba Juice, $5,000 each from Salt Lake County and Noodles & Co., and $1,000 from The Joint, a chiropractic care facility in Sugar House.
Copyright 2017, Deseret News Publishing Company