ST. GEORGE — One woman died Sunday and two of her siblings were hospitalized after they were exposed to carbon monoxide in their home.
A member of their church found the three siblings, who live together at 633 E. Lexington Drive, just after 3 p.m., St. George Fire Capt. Jason Whipple said. He said the individuals were active members of their LDS Church ward and when they weren't at Sunday's services, a member of the congregation went to check on them and found them in the home.
One woman was declared dead at the scene. Her sister and brother were transported to an area hospital in critical condition. They were unconscious at the time.
All three individuals are in their 80s, Whipple said.
Officials from St. George Police and Fire responded and determined a car that was left on in the home's closed garage was the source of the carbon monoxide.
"From everything we saw, it looked like it was accidental," Whipple said.
The car had shut off by the time officials arrived. The incident remains under investigation.
Whipple did not have the identities of those involved, but said they are well-known in the community and have children and grandchildren in the area.
Copyright 2015, Deseret News Publishing Company