Burner may have caused kitchen fire

Published: Tuesday, Oct. 13 2015 4:46 p.m. MDT

TAYLORSVILLE — Fire officials believe that food left on a burner caused a fire that destroyed a home's kitchen Sunday afternoon.

Two people were home at 3418 W. Silver Medal Drive when fire spread through the kitchen about 1 p.m. Fire crews responded quickly, but the fire destroyed the kitchen and there was heavy smoke damage throughout the house, said Unified Fire Authority Capt. Clint Smith.

One person was checked on scene for minor smoke inhalation.

Smith said damage is estimated at $50,000. Investigators ruled the fire accidental.

— Lana Groves

Copyright 2015, Deseret News Publishing Company