Fiesta Bowl fires longtime CEO
PHOENIX — The Fiesta Bowl fired its longtime CEO John Junker after a scathing internal report released Tuesday found "an apparent scheme" to reimburse employees for political contributions.
Such reimbursements would be violations of state and federal campaign finance laws. The Arizona attorney general's office is conducting a probe of the matter.
The Fiesta board of directors voted unanimously to fire Junker "for his improper and inappropriate activities documented" in the report.
Junker has been the face of the bowl for three decades, leading it from an upstart event to one of the BCS giants. With an annual salary of about $600,000, he had been on paid administrative lead since Feb. 4 after, the board said, he failed to comply with two written directives to cooperate with the investigation.
The board said the probe also uncovered "excessive compensation, non-business and inappropriate expenditures and inappropriate gifts."
UVU's Yocom, summers earn POW
OREM — UVU senior Meghan Yocom was named both the Great West Conference and PCSC Mountain Division Player of the Week and Josi Summers was honored by the PCSC as the Mountain Division Pitcher of the Week for the second time in as many weeks after outstanding performances last weekend at the Great West Early Season Tournament.
RSL reserves fall 2-0 to fc dallas
LEHI — Real Salt Lake dropped its 2011 MLS Reserve League opener to FC Dallas 2-0 on Tuesday afternoon at Xango Field.
After a scoreless first half, Dallas' Ruben Luna and Bryan Leyva scored 11 minutes apart in the second half in the first match of MLS' revamped Reserve League.
Former RSL keeper Chris Seitz earned the shutout for Dallas.
RSL newcomers Conor Chinn and Donny Toia both started the match, while four RSL-Arizona Academy players were used as substitutes.
RSL's next Reserve League game will be at Xango Field against Colorado on Thursday, April 14.
NFL players can start getting money
WASHINGTON — Each NFL player who contributed to a lockout fund will be able to begin collecting up to a total of about $60,000.
After setting aside union dues and royalties during recent seasons, eligible players may start drawing from the fund April 15.
NFL Players Association head DeMaurice Smith said on March 18 that money was available to help players while they are not receiving paychecks during the lockout, which owners imposed after the collective bargaining agreement expired. Smith would not provide details.
NFL.com reported Tuesday the NFLPA sent out letters saying its board of player directors "approved the payout from the Lockout Fund to begin on April 15, in six installments or until the lockout ends."
Copyright 2016, Deseret News Publishing Company