CRANSTON, R.I. (AP) A pipe exploded at a chemical plant Friday, starting a raging fire that sent acrid smoke billowing through the building. Twelve people were injured, one critically.
The fire at the Technic manufacturing facility burned so intensely that pipes in the ventilation system melted, and firefighters used fans to clear smoke.
"We couldn't see from one end of the building to the other," Deputy Fire Chief Anthony Mastantuono said. As many as 200 people were evacuated from the neighborhood for about four hours.
Authorities said the pipe exploded after a worker banged on it with a hammer in an attempt to clear it. The worker was severely injured and in critical condition. The other 11 were treated for chemical exposure at Rhode Island Hospital and released, hospital spokeswoman Nancy Cawley said.
- It's not just young people — seniors...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- White House intruder identified as Army...
- Ex-stepson: White House intruder meant no harm
- Secret Service boosts security outside White...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- Who wins Senate control? Nov. 4 might not decide
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 6
- It's not just young people —... 6
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5