CRANSTON, R.I. (AP) A pipe exploded at a chemical plant Friday, starting a raging fire that sent acrid smoke billowing through the building. Twelve people were injured, one critically.
The fire at the Technic manufacturing facility burned so intensely that pipes in the ventilation system melted, and firefighters used fans to clear smoke.
"We couldn't see from one end of the building to the other," Deputy Fire Chief Anthony Mastantuono said. As many as 200 people were evacuated from the neighborhood for about four hours.
Authorities said the pipe exploded after a worker banged on it with a hammer in an attempt to clear it. The worker was severely injured and in critical condition. The other 11 were treated for chemical exposure at Rhode Island Hospital and released, hospital spokeswoman Nancy Cawley said.
- 2 cops in New York City ambushed, fatally...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,...
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- 'Hobbit' goes out on top with $90.6 million...
- What people never mention when they talk...
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 16
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 8