Fern (Chris) C. Sorenson passed away peacefully at home Nov. 3, 2002 of causes incident to age.
She was born in Centerville, South Dakota October 25, 1911 to Nels C. and Helga C. Christensen. She graduated from Viborg, S.D. High School as valedictorian of her class.
She attended Cook County School of Nursing in Chicago, graduating with an R.N. degree. She then went to The New York Hospital and was soon appointed assistant and then head nurse on the medical service.
In 1942, Chris entered the U.S. Army as a 2nd Lieutenant and served until 1945 as a head nurse on the medical service in the 9th General Hospital (The New York Hospital) in the South Pacific. It was here that she met Dr. C. Wallace Sorenson. They were married in Logan, Utah in 1946, later to be sealed in the Salt Lake Temple. After five more years of residency training at the New York Hospital they came to Salt Lake City, where Dr. Sorenson joined the medical staff at LDS Hospital and the Memorial Medical Center.
Chris was active in the Ensign 1st Ward of the LDS Church and has served as a teacher in the Primary, Cub Scout leader, and in Relief Society callings.
Chris is survived by her husband Wally and her two sons, Charles W. Sorenson, Jr., M.D. (Sharee) and David N. Sorenson (Kathy), and seven grandchildren. She is also survived by four brothers, Virgil, Ellsworth (Ruth), Russell (Marg), and Dale (Frances), all of South Dakota. She was predeceased by her older brother, Curtis.
Funeral services will be held on Thursday, November 7, 2002 at 12 Noon at the Larkin Mortuary, 260 E. South Temple. Friends may call Wednesday, November 6, 2002 from 6-8 p.m. and one hour prior to services at the Mortuary. Interment: Salt Lake City Cemetery.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 68
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 30
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18