Fern (Chris) C. Sorenson passed away peacefully at home Nov. 3, 2002 of causes incident to age.
She was born in Centerville, South Dakota October 25, 1911 to Nels C. and Helga C. Christensen. She graduated from Viborg, S.D. High School as valedictorian of her class.
She attended Cook County School of Nursing in Chicago, graduating with an R.N. degree. She then went to The New York Hospital and was soon appointed assistant and then head nurse on the medical service.
In 1942, Chris entered the U.S. Army as a 2nd Lieutenant and served until 1945 as a head nurse on the medical service in the 9th General Hospital (The New York Hospital) in the South Pacific. It was here that she met Dr. C. Wallace Sorenson. They were married in Logan, Utah in 1946, later to be sealed in the Salt Lake Temple. After five more years of residency training at the New York Hospital they came to Salt Lake City, where Dr. Sorenson joined the medical staff at LDS Hospital and the Memorial Medical Center.
Chris was active in the Ensign 1st Ward of the LDS Church and has served as a teacher in the Primary, Cub Scout leader, and in Relief Society callings.
Chris is survived by her husband Wally and her two sons, Charles W. Sorenson, Jr., M.D. (Sharee) and David N. Sorenson (Kathy), and seven grandchildren. She is also survived by four brothers, Virgil, Ellsworth (Ruth), Russell (Marg), and Dale (Frances), all of South Dakota. She was predeceased by her older brother, Curtis.
Funeral services will be held on Thursday, November 7, 2002 at 12 Noon at the Larkin Mortuary, 260 E. South Temple. Friends may call Wednesday, November 6, 2002 from 6-8 p.m. and one hour prior to services at the Mortuary. Interment: Salt Lake City Cemetery.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Women innovators leading by example
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Pleasant Grove homeowner shoot, kills man in...
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- Hiker pulled from Bell Canyon after fall
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 34
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 15
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 13
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 11
- Attorney: Woman on trial in deputy's... 10
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps... 9