Some of skiing's greatest legends were honored Friday at the Utah Olympic Park.
Two life-size bronze statues were unveiled in the park's courtyard, after which eight individuals including the two whose images have been caught in bronze were inducted into the first class in the Utah Skiing Hall of Fame.
The statues are those of Alf Engen and Joe Quinney. Quinney helped fund and build Alta Ski Resort. And it is the building that carries his name, the Joe Quinney Winter Sports Center, which will serve as a educational arm for Utah skiing, and which houses the Alf Engen Museum and now the Hall of Fame.
Engen immigrated from Norway as a young man to the United States and went on to become one of the driving forces in skiing in the Intermountain West, and particularly here in Utah.
Also inducted into the Hall of Fame were Engen's brothers, Sverre and Corey. The Engen brothers filled most every niche available in skiing, from being world champions to making skiing films to being among the early professional ski instructors.
Other inductees were W. Averill Harriman, Gretchen Fraser, Junior Bounous and Zane Doyle.
Harriman founded the first lift-served ski area in the world Sun Valley.
Fraser, referred to as "America's Lady of Skiing," became the first U.S. skier to win an Olympic gold medal in 1948.
Doyle guided the development of Brighton Ski Area between 1943 and 1987.
And Bounous, currently the skiing emissary for Snowbird has been a competitor, instructor and author of numerous skiing articles.
Alf and Sverre Engen, Fraser, Harriman and Quinney were honored posthumously.
A plaque, along with a brief history of the life of each inductee, will be placed in the Quinney Center.
The eight-foot bronze statues are the works of sculptor Kraig Varner, whose works include the Brigham Young statue at the State Capitol and the Scott M. Matheson statue that stands in front of the state court building.
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- What you may have missed: Mangum’s...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU quarterbacks rise to...
- Utah notebook: Britain Covey will not play on...
- High school basketball: Lone Peak, Murray,...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 127
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 40
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 37
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35