Les was born Jan 10, 1942 in Provo, UT to Loey and Donna Meiling Newren. He passed away July 25, 2002 of a heart attack in Hermitage, TN.
At an early age he began working at the gas station with his father, and continued to work hard the remainder of his life. He was one of the first Eagle scouts in the McKinley Ward and Templeview Stake. He graduated from South High School in 1960 after which, he joined the National Guard. He continued his service to his country throughout his life, ending his military career in the Army Reserve as a master ser-geant.
Les loved cars and enjoyed racing at the fair grounds and Bonneville raceway early in life and was a member of SLVRA where he was known as "Deputy Dawg." He cherished his Corvette and was a member of the Corvette Club. He joined the Salt Lake County Sheriffs office in 1965. While he loved his work there, he retired in 1997 but found a new home with Southwest Airlines, where he worked until the time of his death.
Married Carolyn Keller 1962, divorced. Married Julie Morgan 1975. He was preceded in death by his sons, Burke and Dennis, mother, Donna, and brother, Russell. Les leaves behind numerous people who loved him, only his immediate family is named here: wife Julie; sons, Andy, Dee Newren, Eric Morgan; daughter, Camille Kirkham; daughter-in-law, Jammie Kidd; grandchildren, Allison, Nicole, Alex, Becca, Cory, Davin, Benjamin, Christopher; parents, Loey and LaMona; and sisters, Laura Newren, Judy Otley.
Services will be Tues. July 30, 2002, 2 p.m., at the chapel, 9800 S. 2580 W, South Jordan. Friends and family may call Mon. 6-8 p.m., Larkin Mortuary, 260 E. South Temple, Salt Lake City, and Tues. 1-1:45 p.m. at the chapel. Interment, Salt Lake City Cemetery.
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Family seeks change as poisoned tea...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 35
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 32
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22
- Government regulation has become like... 22