Polygamist author Ogden Kraut, who often provided expert and temperate opinion when polygamist issues rose to public attention, has died at 75.
Mr. Kraut died at his Salt Lake home Wednesday, July 17, 2002. After being diagnosed with liver cancer in March, he spent his last days writing his obituary and planning his funeral. His obituary mentioned no wives and listed his eight children only by their first names.
He wanted to be known as a "fundamentalist Mormon," said Anne Wilde, one of Kraut's wives. "He considered himself a Joseph Smith Mormon a follower of original Mormonism."
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints disavowed polygamy a century ago and now excommunicates those who practice it. It also objects to the term "fundamentalist Mormon," contending polygamists are not church members and therefore not Mormons.
In June, more than a 100 members of his extended family threw a birthday party for Mr. Kraut, who spent his life cranking out self-published books about polygamy and theology.
Mr. Kraut was born June 21, 1927, in Shelby, Idaho. He joined the LDS Church in his teens and went to Brigham Young University for one year.
He later worked for John Hyrum Koyle, who claimed to have a vision of a nine-chambered gold mine in the Wasatch Mountains.
Funeral services are scheduled for 10 a.m. Monday at Larkin Sunset Gardens in Sandy with an informal gathering for family and friends today from 6 to 8 p.m. and one hour prior to services. Burial will be in the Salem City Cemetery.
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Utah woman's secret: Ted Bundy tried to kill...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- Women called heroes for reviving high school...
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- BYU will buy Provo High School for $25M,...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support medical...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 49
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 48
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 47
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- Waiting on 'young invincibles' 40
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 23