R.J. Snow, president of the South Africa Johannesburg Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, has been named student life vice president at Brigham Young University.
BYU President Rex E. Lee said the appointment is effective in July after the new vice president and his wife, Marilyn Melville Snow, complete their mission assignment. They have been serving in South Africa since 1987.Before his mission call, Snow was president and director of the Jacob-sen Co. in Salt Lake City.
Prior to that, he was vice president for university relations at the University of Utah, a position he held for nearly a decade. He was also director of the Robert H. Hinckley Institute of Politics and a member of the political science faculty at the U.
"R.J. Snow's academic perspective and administrative experience represent an unusual combination of depth and breadth in higher education, and we are delighted that he has chosen to accept this newly created position at BYU," Lee said.
He said that in the new administrative structure under Snow, John B. Stohlton will be associate student life vice president and Maren M. Mourit-sen will be assistant vice president and dean of student life. Both currently answer to the administrative vice president's office.
Snow was at the University of California, Santa Barbara, from 1967 to 1973 where he served on the political science faculty and worked closely with David P. Gardner, now president of the University of California, in dealing with student unrest problems that were plaguing the California system at that time.
A St. George native, Snow holds an associate of science degree from Dixie College, bachelor and master of arts degrees in history from the U., and master of arts and doctoral degrees in political science from Northwestern University.
He has served as member of the Committee on Executive Reorganization for the state of Utah, a board member of the Utah Symphony and officer or member of more than 25 other civic and charitable organizations.
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in...
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Man charged with killing baby in Ogden... 8
- Circleville farmers scratching their... 8