To teach is to touch a life forever
Born August 19, 1921, in Branston, Leicestershire, England, the only child of Samuel and Ivy Bellamy, Dr. Sylvia (Jane) Scandland, revered educator, died at home of a lingering cancer-related illness on July 31, 2001, surrounded by her treasured books.
She married Craig W. Scanland in 1965; he preceded her in death in 1994.
She is survived by her cousins, Rowena Baggaley and Douglas Hempshall, England; as well as other cousins in California.
Dr. Scanland earned a B.A. degree from the University of Manchester, M.A. (1965) and PhD (1970) degrees from the University of Utah. After teaching from 1945 to 1950 at Sydenham High School in London, Dr. Scanland moved to Utah where she taught for 30 year sin the Salt Lake School District. She was a master teacher noted for her exacting standards, delightful wit, and extraordinary mind. She finalized her career at Highland High School where her teaching program included Advanced Placement English and Latin. Highland High students awarded her the first Golden Ram Teaching Award, and students still talk of Miss Bellamy/Dr. Scanland with gratitude. Members of the Zeta Chapter of Delta KappaGamma Society International, a society for key women educators, understand the depth of her accomplishments and dedication.
A world traveler, from Tonga, China, South America, Europe to Africa, she delighted her friends and students with unusual tales of adventure.
An Episcopalian prayer service was held at the time of her death. Following cremation, her ashes were returned to England.
In remembrance of Miss Bellamy/Dr. Scanland, read a book, contribute to a library program or to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, Utah.
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Utah man building Disneyland out of Legos...
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Fight Like Girls group helps women battle...
- Millcreek mayor hopeful diagnosed with...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 65
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 36
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 16