PROVO A former Boy Scout leader and high school teacher has been ordered to serve one year in jail for sexually abusing a Scout under his care.
Vincent Lawrence, 34, was recently sentenced in 4th District Court on two counts of forcible sex abuse, a second-degree felony.
Although Lawrence faced the a maximum of one to 15 years in prison on each count, Judge Gary Stott ordered jail time, plus 100 hours of community service and a $1,420 fine.
Lawrence was arrested on June 15 after police investigated allegations that Lawrence had sexual relations with a 17-year-old at a Scout camp near Scofield reservoir, where Lawrence was a camp director.
Lawrence, at the time, also worked as an art and photography teacher at Timpanogos High School in Orem.
Stott ordered Lawrence to have no unsupervised contact with the victim, the victim's family or any other minor males under 18.
Lawrence was also ordered to register as a sex offender and forbidden to possess sexually explicit material or hold any leadership position over minor males. After his year in jail, Lawrence is to complete outpatient sex-offender treatment. Any future employer may be notified by the court regarding his offense.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- 'None of it matters': Family grateful after...
- 'Catastrophic' arson fire destroys 10 Tooele...
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14