PROVO A former Boy Scout leader and high school teacher has been ordered to serve one year in jail for sexually abusing a Scout under his care.
Vincent Lawrence, 34, was recently sentenced in 4th District Court on two counts of forcible sex abuse, a second-degree felony.
Although Lawrence faced the a maximum of one to 15 years in prison on each count, Judge Gary Stott ordered jail time, plus 100 hours of community service and a $1,420 fine.
Lawrence was arrested on June 15 after police investigated allegations that Lawrence had sexual relations with a 17-year-old at a Scout camp near Scofield reservoir, where Lawrence was a camp director.
Lawrence, at the time, also worked as an art and photography teacher at Timpanogos High School in Orem.
Stott ordered Lawrence to have no unsupervised contact with the victim, the victim's family or any other minor males under 18.
Lawrence was also ordered to register as a sex offender and forbidden to possess sexually explicit material or hold any leadership position over minor males. After his year in jail, Lawrence is to complete outpatient sex-offender treatment. Any future employer may be notified by the court regarding his offense.
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop officers...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11