PROVO A former Boy Scout leader and high school teacher has been ordered to serve one year in jail for sexually abusing a Scout under his care.
Vincent Lawrence, 34, was recently sentenced in 4th District Court on two counts of forcible sex abuse, a second-degree felony.
Although Lawrence faced the a maximum of one to 15 years in prison on each count, Judge Gary Stott ordered jail time, plus 100 hours of community service and a $1,420 fine.
Lawrence was arrested on June 15 after police investigated allegations that Lawrence had sexual relations with a 17-year-old at a Scout camp near Scofield reservoir, where Lawrence was a camp director.
Lawrence, at the time, also worked as an art and photography teacher at Timpanogos High School in Orem.
Stott ordered Lawrence to have no unsupervised contact with the victim, the victim's family or any other minor males under 18.
Lawrence was also ordered to register as a sex offender and forbidden to possess sexually explicit material or hold any leadership position over minor males. After his year in jail, Lawrence is to complete outpatient sex-offender treatment. Any future employer may be notified by the court regarding his offense.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 36
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 26