One of the truly memorable periods in the history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is that associated with Quincy, Illinois. The residents of Quincy were remarkably kind and compassionate toward the destitute Saints who, in 1838-39, were fleeing Missouri and the extermination order of Gov. Lilburn W. Boggs.
This moving story is now told in the history museum of the Historical Society of Quincy and Adams County. This beautiful and historic structure was once the Gardner Museum of Architecture and Design. In 2013, the Mormon Historic Sites Foundation responded to an invitation from the HSQAC to sponsor a room in the museum dedicated to the Latter-day Saint period of Quincy’s history.
There are interpretive panels, videos and artifacts. Of particular interest to those interested in Latter-day Saint history are some of the original keys to the Nauvoo Temple. These keys are owned by the HSQAC, which graciously allows them to be viewed by visitors. The History Museum provides information about other historical sites in the Quincy area directly connected with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: the John Wood home, Washington Park, monuments and the grave of Frederick G. Williams. Quincy should be a stop for all who visit Nauvoo.
Kenneth R. Mays is a board member of the Mormon Historic Sites Foundation and has also been an instructor in the LDS Church’s Department of Seminaries and Institutes for more than 35 years.