SANDY — Canyons School District has recognized 10 individuals for their contributions to education with its 2016 Apex Award.
This year’s awardees include:
• Gretchen Murray, a runner-up in the state Teacher of the Year contest, was named Canyons Teacher of the Year.
• Mary Bailey, Corner Canyon High School’s first principal, was selected as School Administrator of the Year.
• Mike Sirois, who helped reconfigure the district’s middle schools, was honored as District Administrator of the Year.
• Judy Ward, the nutrition clerk at Lone Peak Elementary, was selected as Education Support Professional of the Year.
• Katie Blunt, a driving force behind the success of Canyons Education Technology wizards, was given the Student Support Services Professional of the Year award.Comment on this story
• Ron Konnick, Sunrise Elementary's “resident grandpa,” was given the Volunteer of the Year award.
• Rep. Steve Eliason, R-Sandy, who championed education for homeless children, was selected as Canyons' Elected Official of the Year,
• Valley Behavioral Health, which provides aid and care to students in crisis, was chosen to receive the Community Partner of the Year award.
• Jennifer Toomer-Cook and Jeffrey Haney, the district’s first communications team, received the Legacy Award.