SALT LAKE CITY — Police arrested a man Tuesday who they say stabbed numerous people in the Rio Grande district near the downtown homeless shelter.

Christopher J. Robertson, 30, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of three counts of aggravated assault and possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person.

About 6:15 p.m., Salt Lake police were called to 251 S. 500 West on a report of a large fight. Between 10 and 15 people were involved, and many were chasing Robertson and his girlfriend when officers arrived, according to police. It was unknown Tuesday what started the fight.

Police believe Robertson stabbed two men in the chest and a third in the arm. Two of those victims were taken to local hospitals, one in critical condition and another in serious condition. As detectives continued their investigation, they discovered a fourth man who had also been stabbed in the shoulder. He, too, was taken to a local hospital.

Robertson, who has several visible injuries to his face in his jail mug shot, including a large wound under his right eye, was treated at a local hospital for minor injuries before being taken to jail. Police were still looking Tuesday for his girlfriend, Tiffany Frieze, 30.

Robertson has a history of violent crimes, according to court records.

In 2005, he was convicted by a jury of two counts of aggravated robbery and sentenced to five years to life in the Utah State Prison. In 2008, Robertson was convicted of attempted assault by a prisoner. In 2012, he was convicted of assault in a domestic violence-related incident and he was sentenced to another year in prison.

In 2013, while being transported in a Utah State Prison vehicle on I-15 near the Bangerter Highway Exit, Robertson took off his seat belt, laid down in the back seat and kicked at the window while stating he was not going back to prison, according to charging documents. He caused more than $1,300 in damage and was convicted of damaging prison property.

Robertson was most recently released from prison in May, according to the Utah Department of Corrections.


Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam