Draper man charged with kidnapping in attack on pregnant woman
DRAPER — A Draper man was charged Tuesday with aggravated kidnapping in connection with an alleged violent attack of a pregnant woman over the weekend.
Rick Thomas Fox, 45, allegedly punched the seven months pregnant victim, dragged her by her hair and attempted to strangle her in an attack Saturday in a home near 12300 South and 700 East.
Fox is charged in 3rd District Court with aggravated kidnapping, a first-degree felony; aggravated assault, a third-degree felony; assault, a class A misdemeanor; criminal mischief, a class B misdemeanor; and damage to or interruption of a communication device, also a class B misdemeanor.
The woman suffered "several cuts" to her face, a scratch to her neck, and a split and swollen lip, court documents say. The woman began to "lose consciousness" while Fox was choking her, charges state.
Draper police said they located the woman "visibly upset, shaking and (with) blood all over her face."
The woman told police she tried to make a call for help, but Fox allegedly took her cellphone and threw it. At one point while choking the victim, Fox told her "he was going to kill her," court documents state.
At another point in the alleged attack, charges say Fox punched a wall and indicated that the home's front door had a screw drilled into it to keep the woman from leaving.
Fox's extensive criminal history in Utah includes convictions in four felony drug distribution cases, plus multiple guilty pleas to felony drug possession, court records indicate. He was most recently convicted in May 2015 of two first-degree felony counts of possession of a controlled substance with the intent to distribute.
Fox, who is being held in the Salt Lake County Jail, is scheduled to attend his initial hearing in the kidnapping case Thurday.
- Video: How to choose the right helmet for...
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate legal...
- Body of missing hiker found above Alta
- Documents: Former teacher says he used to...
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald Trump...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Worthy of celebration: 99-year history of...
- Syracuse woman killed in Antelope Drive crash
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 32
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 29
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21