Laura Seitz, Deseret News
PROVO — A BYU football player has been suspended from participating with the team after being arrested earlier this week.
Sophomore tight end Josh Weeks was arrested on Monday for a violation of a stalking injunction, according to Utah County Jail online records. BYU athletics spokesman Brett Pyne confirmed that Weeks has been suspended.
Weeks was booked into jail early Tuesday morning but was released about an hour later. Bail was set at $1,943, according to police records.
No new charges were filed from this week's arrest. A woman requested a stalking injunction against Weeks on March 4, while another woman requested a protective order on Feb. 10, according to court documents.
Weeks also was charged with criminal mischief, a class B misdemeanor, and criminal tresspass of a dwelling, a class A misdemeanor, in February 2015, stemming from a December 2014 incident, according to court documents. He took a plea in abeyance in March 2015 and the charges were dismissed in December.
The 6-foot-4, 232-pound Weeks switched from wide receiver to tight end during BYU spring camp, which began March 1. During his freshman season, Weeks had three receptions for 23 yards, all in the Cougars’ 70-6 victory over Wagner. The Show Low, Arizona, native served an LDS Church mission to Kennewick, Washington, and was named a MaxPreps All-American in 2009 and 2010.
BYU will hold its spring scrimmage Saturday at 2 p.m. at LaVell Edwards Stadium, and spring camp wraps up next week.
Contributing: McKenzie Romero
- LeBron James wins NBA Finals MVP for 3rd time
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 62
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 23
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22