Laura Seitz, Deseret News
PROVO — A BYU football player has been suspended from participating with the team after being arrested earlier this week.
Sophomore tight end Josh Weeks was arrested on Monday for a violation of a stalking injunction, according to Utah County Jail online records. BYU athletics spokesman Brett Pyne confirmed that Weeks has been suspended.
Weeks was booked into jail early Tuesday morning but was released about an hour later. Bail was set at $1,943, according to police records.
No new charges were filed from this week's arrest. A woman requested a stalking injunction against Weeks on March 4, while another woman requested a protective order on Feb. 10, according to court documents.
Weeks also was charged with criminal mischief, a class B misdemeanor, and criminal tresspass of a dwelling, a class A misdemeanor, in February 2015, stemming from a December 2014 incident, according to court documents. He took a plea in abeyance in March 2015 and the charges were dismissed in December.
The 6-foot-4, 232-pound Weeks switched from wide receiver to tight end during BYU spring camp, which began March 1. During his freshman season, Weeks had three receptions for 23 yards, all in the Cougars’ 70-6 victory over Wagner. The Show Low, Arizona, native served an LDS Church mission to Kennewick, Washington, and was named a MaxPreps All-American in 2009 and 2010.
BYU will hold its spring scrimmage Saturday at 2 p.m. at LaVell Edwards Stadium, and spring camp wraps up next week.
Contributing: McKenzie Romero
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- Even before easy win, good day for Serena...
- Westbrook, Thunder put Warriors on brink of...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 152
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 50
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 30
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27