SALT LAKE CITY — Jobs in Utah are still plentiful, a new report indicates.
The state’s nonfarm payroll employment for February 2016 grew by an estimated 3.3 percent, adding 44,700 jobs to the economy compared to the same period last year.
The Utah Department of Workforce Services reported Friday that February’s seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was unchanged from the previous month’s rate of 3.4 percent. The number of Utahns considered gainfully employed registered at 1,395,100 people, while approximately 50,100 Utahns were unemployed and actively seeking work.
Nationally, the jobless rate was also even with January at 4.9 percent.
“The labor market in our state continues to grow and support economic prosperity,” said Department of Workforce Services chief economist Carrie Mayne. “With the addition of more than 44,000 jobs, Utah’s businesses continue to provide opportunity for job seekers who have the skills needed in today’s labor markets.”
The report showed that eight of the 10 private sector industry groups measured in the survey posted net job increases in February over last year, with Natural Resources and Mining joining Other Services as the only outliers, shedding 1,600 jobs and 700 positions, respectively.
The biggest private sector employment increases were in Education and Health Services — which added 9,700 jobs; Trade, Transportation and Utilities — up 8,700 jobs; and Leisure and Hospitality — which brought on 8,300 new positions. The highest employment growth occurred in Leisure and Hospitality — up 6.4 percent; Financial Activities — up 5.9 percent; and Construction, which rose 5.8 percent.
- Behind the support for Brexit and Trump:...
- Asian stocks mixed as markets await Brexit...
- Stocks, pound fall again due to UK vote...
- Financial Tips & Tricks: When is bankruptcy...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Renovation Solutions: Tips for choosing an...
- Tesla wants to be the ultimate sustainable...
- Utahns' confidence in the state economy is...
- Behind the support for Brexit and... 14
- Stocks, pound fall again due to UK vote... 8
- Costco begins new credit card agreement 4
- Financial Tips & Tricks: When is... 1
- Asian stocks mixed as markets await... 0
- Renovation Solutions: Tips for choosing... 0
- Tesla wants to be the ultimate... 0
- Utahns' confidence in the state economy... 0