Valley snowfall expected overnight Tuesday as part of northern Utah storm
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Widespread rain and snow swept through northern Utah on Monday as temperatures dipped into the 30s.
Some snowfall was expected to continue into Tuesday, according to KSL meteorologist Dan Guthrie. Very little snow is expected to accumulate on the ground in the valleys, but it may be just enough to affect commuters Tuesday morning, he said.
One to 4 inches are likely to accumulate in bench areas through Wednesday morning. About 10 to 20 inches of accumulated snow are predicted over that same period for mountainous areas in the northern Wasatch Front, Guthrie said.
High temperatures reached the 30s and low 40s in Salt Lake County and surrounding areas on Monday. The northern Wasatch Front was hardest hit by the storm; about 0.62 inches of snow fell in Tremonton, while nearly a third of an inch was recorded in Ogden.
High winds were also a big part of Monday's storm front. Ogden Peak saw a wind gust of 90 mph on Monday, according to Guthrie. A 66 mph wind was recorded in Park City.
Highs in the mid- to low 40s are expected Tuesday and Wednesday, with temperatures increasing to the 50s by midweek and into the 60s by the weekend.
Snowy weather also created traffic hazards in Logan Canyon on Monday. The Rich County Sheriff's Office said in a Facebook post that the canyon was "a little risky for travel."
"Don't drive it if it's not essential," the sheriff's office said in its post, which included a photo of a semitrailer partially tipped over at the side of U.S. 89.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop criminal...
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the middle...
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Fire destroys Taylorsville home, damages another
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the... 64
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 29
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16