SALT LAKE CITY — For a third time, former TV and radio pitchman Dell Schanze filed to run for governor of Utah Monday, according to candidate information recorded by the Utah Lieutenant Governor's Office.
Schanze is listed as a candidate for the Independent American Party. He filed his name as "Super Dell Schanze," with Super Dell written in all caps.
Schanze, of American Fork, unsuccessfully ran for governor as a Libertarian in 2008 and as a Republican in 2010. He has also previously ran for mayor of Saratoga Springs.
Schanze founded Totally Awesome Computers and is known for his vociferous personality and his over-the-top shrill TV commercials. He is also well-known for his run-ins with the law. In April 2015, he pleaded guilty to pursuing a migratory bird and using an aircraft to harass wildlife for chasing down and kicking an owl in 2011 while flying his paraglider.
During a 2014 hearing, Schanze told a judge that a human head was thrown through his window after a judge ordered that all of his guns be removed from his house pending trial. Police said no reports consistent with such claims had been filed.
Schanze was sentenced to a year of probation.
Schanze's criminal history includes a 2006 no-contest plea to creating a public nuisance for his use of a power-glider above I-15 in Draper. He has also pleaded guilty to reckless driving incidents.
— Ben Lockhart
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Take a breather: 5 memorable ways to pamper...
- 10 of the most unusual laws in Utah
- Man hit, killed by FrontRunner train in Provo
- Youth volunteers plant 3,000 flags at Sandy...
- Man charged with threats of terrorism,...
- Riverton man arrested in 'unique' display of...
- Man found shot to death in Cottonwood Heights...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 113
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 25
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 18
- Provo forum to explore roles of family,... 17
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 11
- Medical marijuana debate focuses on... 10
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become... 8
- San Juan County Commissioner appeals... 8